About Colorado Retail Council
Founded in 1966, the Colorado Retail Council is a not-for-profit professional trade organization that represents the retail industry throughout Colorado. cRc is comprised of a variety of retail establishments who wish to have a stronger voice in regulatory and legislative affairs.
Our mission is to encourage and protect a business-friendly atmosphere throughout Colorado through experienced and professional advocacy at the state legislature.
Our membership represents over 1500 retail locations throughout Colorado and includes six of the top-ten private employers in the state.
Executive Association Management
- Report regularly to a Board of Directors composed of representatives from a selection of our members
- Collect and manage membership dues (all finances audited by Bondi & Co., an independent third-party accounting firm)
- Regularly distribute newsletters and legislative updates
- Provide professional lobbying services on behalf of the association
Professional Lobbying Services
- Initiate legislation favorable to the retail community
- Support or oppose legislation that may help or harm the retail community
- Research laws, rules, and regulations that may affect our retailers
- Report on governmental news that may be pertinent to our members
- Monitor proposed legislation and provide regular legislative updates
- Attend political fundraisers and events on behalf of our retailers
- Organize meetings between legislators and our members
Christopher D. Howes, President
sixteen-year lobbying and association management career has been built on representing a diverse group of industries and associations in Colorado including; pharmacy, agriculture, grocery, telecommunications, hospitals, big box retail, national beverage manufacturers, emergency radio, voting equipment, emergency first responders, police departments and commercial developers. His work on behalf of the state chamber of commerce, state hospital association and state retail association has established his reputation as one of the most trusted lobbyists under the golden dome.
From 1994-1997 served as Vice President of the Colorado Retail Council and soon became the Council’s lead lobbyist on the issue of pharmacy regulation and legislation. Before moving over to the State Capitol, Mr. Howes was a Senior Associate for Maria Garcia Berry at CRL Associates, Inc., a contract lobbying firm in Denver specializing in municipal and county government. A registered Republican in Denver, Mr. Howes values the importance of working both sides of the aisle to gain support for our clients’ legislative agendas.